The Master of Arts in Museum Studies is designed to be completed in 2 – 3 years, including the Culminating Experience (CE) thesis or creative work project (CWP) option. This timeline assumes full-time attendance and can be adjusted with advising for part-time attendance.
Courses in Museum Studies
View the complete listing of all courses in Museum Studies in the SF State Bulletin.
- Enrollment in M S 700 and 860 required
- Begin formulating CE research ideas
Semester 2 / Summer
- Advising and applying for core internship in Summer or beyond
- Advising and development of thesis topic or CWP, and initial research for annotated bibliography
- Attend thesis advising sessions to prepare to file Advancement to Candidacy forms (for spring graduation)
By May of second academic year
- Completion of required and elective courses
- Attend thesis advising sessions to prepare to file Advancement to Candidacy forms (for fall graduation)
- Second elective internship in spring or summer
By May of third academic year
- Completion of CE